Ethics Of Filming Ultimate

• July 3, 2020 at 8:07 am #1837
    yen eb
    Participant

Wanted to generate some conversation regarding Ultiworld’s film coverage. I have some questions that don’t necessarily have right answers but I think it is worth having a discussion about.

Some questions:

Does Ultiworld currently grant film access to filmed teams of those games in which they played? If not, should they?

Most elite club teams (and I imagine elite college teams) film their games. Does this somehow change the conversation?

If film is granted to participating teams, should that include Nationals?

Is Akshat different since he makes his revenue from (I believe) sponsorship and youtube ad dollars?

Who “owns the rights” to filming teams? USAU? Tournament Directors? The teams themselves?

Can and should teams be able to request not to be filmed?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions.

July 5, 2020 at 12:48 am #1838
    artur cardelino
    Participant

[b]. Who “owns the rights” to filming teams? USAU? Tournament Directors? The teams themselves?
    and Can and should teams be able to request not to be filmed?[/b]

I think that’s appropriate. I believe in the registration process (for tournaments), it should be written somewhere “this tournament will be recorded, so you consent ur image usage”. Either online or to keep it private. Specially for youth protection. How can you tell an adult recording the team warming-up, stretching, is someone’s father? not just a stranger recording and using these images for other purposes. We had this similar conversation in the Scout Movement.

So today, everyone at an official event, locally, regionally, or something even bigger. Is aware they can be filmed/photographed (by staff/hired photographers) and their image can be used for scout material. Something like that.

January 18, 2023 at 8:57 am #3597
    Ray Ting-Chun Wang
    Participant

For me, I think that filming teams during actual games is fine and should be allowed. I am not necessarily keen on setting a precedent that teams can request their games to not be filmed. There is a lot we can learn about how ultimate can be played by watching games and game film also helps promote the sport. I do also think that a team should be allowed to film an opponent’s games for scouting.

I also believe, however, that teams are allowed to request their practices or warm-up sessions not be filmed, and the only filming should be of games. I would go even further as to say filming practices or training of other teams shouldn’t be allowed. Filming of practices could lead to these teams being at a competitive disadvantage especially if these videos are posted online. I do also think that filming youth also requires slightly different rules and maybe more discussion as far as consent to film.

As far as the other conversation about who should be allowed to film, I think this is a very interesting question. Technically, most professional sporting competitions require photographers to get credentials to film part (not all) of the games), and the general expectation is the photographers will film some but not all of the game so people will then want to view the full games later. Right now, I don’t think there are those restrictions on anyone from filming ultimate.

I think it also comes down to the value of the game film (beyond of course scouting). I believe ultiworld allows people to pay subscriptions to view full ultimate games on a streaming platform, but would people be willing to pay for this if they could find extended highlights of the same game (for free) on Youtube? The other thing is whether should teams get compensated for this as without them, there would be no game to even film.

It would be interesting to know which teams have the resources to film their games and who should own the rights especially if ultimate becomes popular and people are more willing to pay to view these games online.

Interesting topic!

January 18, 2023 at 8:57 am #3703
    Ray Ting-Chun Wang
    Participant

For me, I think that filming teams during actual games is fine and should be allowed. I am not necessarily keen on setting a precedent that teams can request their games to not be filmed. There is a lot we can learn about how ultimate can be played by watching games and game film also helps promote the sport. I do also think that a team should be allowed to film an opponent’s games for scouting.

I also believe, however, that teams are allowed to request their practices or warm-up sessions not be filmed, and the only filming should be of games. I would go even further as to say filming practices or training of other teams shouldn’t be allowed. Filming of practices could lead to these teams being at a competitive disadvantage especially if these videos are posted online. I do also think that filming youth also requires slightly different rules and maybe more discussion as far as consent to film.

As far as the other conversation about who should be allowed to film, I think this is a very interesting question. Technically, most professional sporting competitions require photographers to get credentials to film part (not all) of the games), and the general expectation is the photographers will film some but not all of the game so people will then want to view the full games later. Right now, I don’t think there are those restrictions on anyone from filming ultimate.

I think it also comes down to the value of the game film (beyond of course scouting). I believe ultiworld allows people to pay subscriptions to view full ultimate games on a streaming platform, but would people be willing to pay for this if they could find extended highlights of the same game (for free) on Youtube? The other thing is whether should teams get compensated for this as without them, there would be no game to even film.

It would be interesting to know which teams have the resources to film their games and who should own the rights especially if ultimate becomes popular and people are more willing to pay to view these games online.

Interesting topic!

January 18, 2023 at 9:00 am #3598
    Ray Ting-Chun Wang
    Participant

For me, I think that filming teams during actual competition games is fine and should be allowed. I am not necessarily keen on setting a precedent that teams can request their competitive games to not be filmed. There is a lot we can learn about how ultimate can be played by watching competitive games and game film also helps promote the sport. I do also think that a team should be allowed to film an opponent’s competitive games for scouting.

I also believe, however, that teams are allowed to request their practices or warm-up sessions not be filmed, and the only filming should be of games. I would go even further as to say filming practices or training of other teams shouldn’t be allowed. Filming of practices could lead to these teams being at a competitive disadvantage especially if these videos are posted online. I would also emphasize that filming youth would require slightly different rules and maybe more discussion as far as consent to film.

January 18, 2023 at 9:00 am #3704
    Ray Ting-Chun Wang
    Participant

For me, I think that filming teams during actual competition games is fine and should be allowed. I am not necessarily keen on setting a precedent that teams can request their competitive games to not be filmed. There is a lot we can learn about how ultimate can be played by watching competitive games and game film also helps promote the sport. I do also think that a team should be allowed to film an opponent’s competitive games for scouting.

I also believe, however, that teams are allowed to request their practices or warm-up sessions not be filmed, and the only filming should be of games. I would go even further as to say filming practices or training of other teams shouldn’t be allowed. Filming of practices could lead to these teams being at a competitive disadvantage especially if these videos are posted online. I would also emphasize that filming youth would require slightly different rules and maybe more discussion as far as consent to film.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.