13.2.7 New way to turnover…

• January 23, 2017 at 2:32 pm #1411
    John Maule
    Participant

Hi,

First, thanks to all involved in the rules re-writing, I’m sure it’s quite a task. I think generally there’s lots of improvements in there.

I am curious though about the new turnover rule 13.2.7

an offensive player uses an item of equipment to assist in catching a pass.

Gloves must be exempt from this rule, given Appendix C8.1. And I assume anything else that is routinely worn on the field (boots, jersey etc) are also exempt unless we’re moving towards a rule set where you can only catch with your hands, and not, say by trapping the disc with your feet, or against your shorts.

I suspect it’s a failure of my imagination but I can’t work out when this rule should be applied.
    What is the intention of this new rule, what scenario is it addressing?

John

January 23, 2017 at 9:26 pm #1412
    Florian Pfender
    Participant

Most common situation would be a player throwing their hat at the disc to slow it down and then catch it. Nothing common. Mostly added to align with USAU who have a similar rule.

February 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm #1413
    enrico randazzo
    Participant

Hi, if i’m not wrong, another situation could be the catch of the disc by stopping it under the t-shirt (stopping it rising the t-shirt and then blocking the disc between the tissue and the belly).
    I’ve seen it expecially between colombian and venezuelan teams and in a match (Switzerland-Italy open) at the European Championship in Maribor 2011.
    So to me it seems that from now it’s a turn over instead of a valid catch, am I right?

enrico

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.